Please Join us for our September 14th Professional Development Dinner Meeting
(2nd Thursday of September)
We at ASQ Houston 1405 hope you and your families are safe during the terrible storm that has affected everyone in the area. There is a meeting planned for September 14 (2nd Thursday instead of the 3rd Thursday). If you would like to register online, please use the Cash - Offline payment option in case the meeting must be cancelled. We have three great menu options, a tutorial and a dinner presentation planned. Make plans to network with other quality professionals and earn up to .6 Recertification Units (RU's). You can follow the link below for more details and to sign up. Please keep the safety of yourselves and your families first in mind. The following details are subject to change.
Post-Dinner Main Speaker: Rashid N. Kapadia
Presentation: Necessary Bridges: Public Speaking and Storytelling for ASQ Professionals
Presentation Slides: Necessary Bridges Presentation
Rashid N. Kapadia, a marine engineer and project manager for decades, rediscovered the transformational power of public speaking and storytelling after joining a Toastmasters club.
He also discovered, to his surprise and dismay, that too many engineers and other “technical experts” seriously underappreciate—even shun—these transformative skills.
In this talk Rashid will:
1. Evangelize public speaking and storytelling (PS&ST)
2. Persuade the audience to upgrade their commitment to PS&ST expertise.
3. Argue that PS&ST expertise foreshadows communication and leadership prowess
4. Briefly discuss the fear of public speaking.
5. Talk about harnessing the power of emotions
6. Propose that PS&ST is a “connection” enabler
7. Argue that there is a “Talk Renaissance” taking place in the world right now.
8. Demonstrate (by prototype) the power of oratory
The world of engineering is too disassociated from the world of PS&ST.
Having always seen himself as an ambassador for the storied and challenging profession of engineering, Rashid N. Kapadia has made it a life mission to bridge these two estranged worlds.
Listeners will leave with:
- A renewed appreciation of the power of public speaking and storytelling (PS&ST)
- A new recognition that PS&ST is an essential leadership soft-skill
- A higher understanding of how to grow into being a superb PS&ST
Pre-Dinner Tutorial Speaker: John Dilorio
Presentation: Everything You Wanted to Know about Spaceports and Space Tenant
The learning objectives for this tutorial are:
• The quality requirements for a Spaceport.
• The commercial space contractor customer requirements.
• The new consulting and manufacturing opportunities.
• The new marketing developments at Ellington Field.
• The bidding opportunities for the Houston Spaceport.
5:00 - 7:00pm Registration
5:30 - 6:30pm Pre-dinner Tutorial Presentation(s)
6:30 - 7:00pm Dinner
7:00 - 7:15pm Announcements
7:15 - 8:30pm Post-Dinner Main Presentation
Entree 1: Angus Chopped Steak, Waldorf Salad, Roasted Veg. Wheat Roll
Entree 2: Chicken Parmesan, Waldorf Salad, Roasted Veg, Wheat roll
Entree 3: Parmesan Eggplant, Waldorf Salad, Roasted Veg, Wheat Roll
Tea and Water
As always, our monthly Professional Development Dinner meetings are open to the public and are only $5.00. There is no requirement to be an ASQ member to attend, or to purchase a meal. Online pre-registration closes on Mondays at 11:45pm before the event. If you choose to purchase a meal at the event, the price will be $25 (only $5 more).